Makes 24 mini puddings
4-day-old croissant or brioche, cut in strips
For the savoury custard
2 large free-range eggs
2 large free-range egg yolks
200ml double cream
100ml whole milk
6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
100g black olives, roughly chopped
½ tsp salt
50g Gruyère cheese
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/ gas 4. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, double cream and milk. Mix in the anchovies, cheese and half of the olives. Place in the fridge so that the flavours infuse. Check for seasoning, but remember that the anchovies and the olives are salty.
3. Place the croissant pieces in a mixing bowl, pour over the custard mixture and stir to coat all the pieces. Let it stand for a while, stirring occasionally, so that the croissant pieces absorb the custard.
4. Fill the muffin tin with the croissant mixture, making sure that the cheese and olives are evenly spread between the layers, and sprinkle the remaining chopped olives over the puddings. Place the muffin tin in an oven dish on a baking tray.
5. Pour hot water into the oven dish until it reaches halfway up the tin. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the custard has set.
6. Remove the tray from the oven and leave to set for about 20 minutes. To finish, brown them under the grill or brush with olive oil.